Archaeology & Heritage
We provide statutory heritage solutions and innovative environmental approaches to cultural heritage services.
We offer a range of practical and integrated Indigenous cultural heritage, historical heritage and built heritage services. We do this by building close, productive and collaborative relationships with our clients, Indigenous community stakeholders and regulators.
Our team are specialists in the fields of Indigenous, historical and built heritage in a range of Australian and international jurisdictions, and have broad skills in heritage management. We expertly navigate heritage assessments and statutory approvals and have a sound knowledge of, and practical experience in, approval processes under the:
- National Parks and Wildlife Act 1974 (NSW) and Heritage Act 1977 (NSW)
- Aboriginal Heritage Act 1988 (SA)
- Aboriginal Heritage Act 2006 (Vic) and Heritage Act 2017 (Vic)
- Aboriginal Heritage Act 1972 (WA)
- Papua New Guinea's National Cultural Property (Preservation) Act 1965, National Museum and Art Gallery Act 1992, National Cultural Commission Act 1994 and War Surplus Material Act 1952
Our staff have worked on projects in all Australian states and territories and many provinces in Papua New Guinea, and maintain membership of professional associations to keep informed of best practice heritage management.
Our archaeology and heritage services include:
- Indigenous and historical heritage due diligence and desktop assessments
- Community consultation and facilitation
- Indigenous cultural heritage assessment reports
- Historical archaeological assessment reports
- Research designs
- Permit applications
- Archaeological survey and test and salvage excavations
- Heritage advice
- Cultural heritage management plans and Preliminary Aboriginal Heritage Tests meeting the requirements of the Aboriginal Heritage Act 2006 (Vic)
- Indigenous and historical cultural heritage baseline and impact assessment technical studies supporting the preparation of Environmental Impact Statements and Environmental and Social Impact Assessments
- Integrated natural and cultural heritage assessments
- Market-based outcomes for Aboriginal communities
- Policy and technical support for Indigenous heritage, land and environmental planning
- Cultural tourism assessments.
For Archaeology, Indigenous cultural heritage & historical heritage enquiries, please contact:
- Archaeology and Heritage Lead, Karyn McLeod (covering NSW and Queensland)
- Principal Heritage Consultant, Alistair Grinbergs (covering the ACT and WA)
- Principal Heritage Adviser, Dr. Michael Green (covering Victoria and Papua New Guinea)
For enquiries regarding the Aboriginal Riverkeeper program, contact Project Director Beth Medway.